"Things are only impossible until they are not." - Jean-Luc Picard

Thirteen to Thirty Three

Was my vegetarian period
Which has now come to an end
Bye bye being able to say I am vegetarian
Hello new journey in the world and new food to go with it

I chose to be vegetarian because of the influence of my aunt janell
Who of course is my cool aunt janell and everything she does is cool
Like helping me understand animal rights and animal cruelty 
And a persons right to choose the type of lifestyle they lead
And so for the longest time I have either been vegetarian or even vegan at times
Originally against eating lovely animals, and their cute furry friends
And saving all my babysitting money to send to the WWF or any other nature cause
I was the model vegetarian as a young person
But, over the last few years my brain has been changing
And my body as well
It was going to Japan that tipped the scale
While travelling around europe (where there is not much of a language barrier)
I found it quite challenging at times to be a veggie
France especially, when I was vegan
So when we booked our trip to Japan, I didn't want to miss out on anything
Including the food
So knowing that they used dashi, or fish broth as a base for most things
I decided that on this occasion I would not concern myself with what might be in the food
As there was a lot of 'vegetarian' options anyways
And, it was fine
Coming back to the uk, made me realise there are actually quite a lot of foods I like
But generally don't eat, due to either meat, or my wheat allergy
(Which coincidentally has been written off as idiopathic urticaria)
And I think that was when the penny dropped
I'd made that lifestyle choice so long ago, that it didn't really match my current life
Shortly after our trip, I started up pilates, boxercise and swimming
Then after we moved house I began running and using the free gym
Then when we moved again I joined a proper gym
After that, and loosing some weight
I realised my diet needed to change
Partially due to the fact that I needed the extra protein
And partially because I felt like I was missing out on some good food
Scratch that, great food, as far as london is concerned
And as I move to Hong Kong, I know I want to be able to experience it to the fullest
And for me that means eating everything in sight
Now, I know I will never give up some of my vegetarian ways
I still prefer to order veggie options instead of meat
And more than anything I am interested in having a healthy diet
(Please ignore all the cake posts on Facebook)
But, I want a happy and balanced lifestyle 
And for me, that means changing the way I eat





No comments: