"Things are only impossible until they are not." - Jean-Luc Picard

volunteering in cambodia- nhcc

I have now been gone a week!
It has passed so fast
I can't believe I only have a week left
This is one of the most peaceful places I have ever been
Aside from the fact we've had perfect weather
It is an hour and a half drive from  Phnom Penh
And is located out in the country, down a long bumpy dirt road
The village has clusters of houses
Children, volunteers and teachers
And the owners have a modest house at the back of the property
I think they said it was 22 acres in total
The housing is dormitory style, boys or girls
Each house has a guardian that locks the door at 9 pm and then it's lights out
There are 2 bathrooms with toilets and a well of water that you scoop out of for flushing the toilets and bucket showers
Then there is a communal area for meals-
Breakfast is at 6 am,  lunch at 11 am and dinner at 5 pm
The lunch break is extended so that you can have an afternoon nap as well if you need it (all the kids do)
The children have a playground, basketball court, and a dancehall area for fun
Then there is a library, a nurses station, a teachers lounge, and some other small buildings in the village
There are also pig pens, chicken coops and vegetable gardens
(each child has a plot of land that they are given seeds so they can raise some plants to sell for pocket money)
The proceeds from the sale of eggs and meat then go to feed the village
The school the children attend is on site
The buildings house grades nursery through year 8
after that they have the option to attend school in the city or job apprenticeships
nchh also has programs to help the kids transition from village life to 'normal' life
Many of the volunteers work in the classroom
But there lots of other small projects such as gardening, composting, and shopping at the wet market to be done as well around the village
Four out of six days here I worked in the 'santa' house helping organise and sort presents for the kids christmas sacks santa will be delivering next week
One day I accompanied  the kids on an outing to the science centre
They got split up into small groups and got to go around to different stations
Then they got treated to hamburgers and ice cream for lunch
(they said this was the best part of the trip)
Afterwards in the same complex they did indoor rock climbing which they loved!
Today I spent the day helping out in year one
There are 20 kids between the ages of 6-8
We did some learning, some singing, some recess, more learning, and some educational games with bingo and legos
It was an absolute pleasure being in the classroom
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow

No comments: